My Happy Hounds

Thursday 11 December 2014

My Amazing Poker Face!

Lovely, big boy Khan enjoys chewing and his owners very kindly gave me a sheepskin rug for him to chew on.
This is my first experience with a dog chewing his rug (Cara and Benny have never chewed anything other than a bone) and scattering the remnants all around the room and after the first day, I knew Khan was having a good time, but Mike and I weren't! So something had to change and it had to be Khan's behaviour. After all I am not a housework goddess and didn't enjoy getting the hoover out all the time!!
I began this little exercise with attempting to get the rug out of his mouth, then the commands 'Give' 'Drop' with really tasty morsels to tempt him as an exhange. Outcome- more chewing with excited leaps around the house as he expressed his enjoyment of this new game!! I then began to notice that I was feeling a tad annoyed with this very happy boy which was hotly followed with frustration.
So, I left the big boy and ignored him totally. I got on with something else that made me feel alot better and then when I was feeling good, feeling happy, I went to see how Khan was doing. He had dropped the rug, but as soon as he clocked me, his fabulous chewing game resumed. So, I put my brilliant poker face, didn't say anything, turned around and left the room. Within a second he followed me with no rug. I turned and lavished praise on him- cuddles, kisses and treats, he had love poured all over him. This is the routine I adopted every time he decided that he wanted chew and I added in a meaty bone when he was being a good boy. It took a day and there has been no chewing since- nothing at all. Chewing the bone hasn't activated chewing in the home. So, Khan very happy and Mike and I very happy.
I had to be consistent as did Mike; we followed the same routine throughout the day and it WORKED! His chewing game wasn't being energised by Mike and I; we just left him to it with a neutral uninterested body language and then praised and loved him when he was being good.

So, if this routine works for me and Khan, it can work for you!

I now tell Khan "You Rock!" when he is behaving brilliantly.

Tomorrow, I will share the Black Pudding biscuit recipe that results in the dogs waiting and sitting beside the oven whilst the biscuits are baking!

See you tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. That is so awesome! It does sound like he is one happy boy and that you did not want to play his destructive game, but gave him something far better instead. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement Maudie; thank you so much for commenting.
      Wishing you a woofing happy weekend!
      Kingsdale Pack

      Delete